Public Housing

About Affordable Public Housing

The BHA owns and operates 196 units of conventional public housing in the Crestmont Community. The site is a mix of single story and town house units with efficiencies through five bedroom units. Residents living in our affordable housing have a wide variety of services available to them.


Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. The BHA uses income limits developed by HUD. HUD sets the lower income limits at 80% and very low income limits at 50% of the median income for Monroe County. Your eligibility is based on: 1) annual gross income; 2) whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family; and 3) U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status. If you are eligible, the BHA will check your landlord references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. The BHA encourages working families to consider our affordable housing. The current maximum income limit for a family of four is $50,000 per year. The maximum rent for a family of four earning $50,000 per year would be $650 (including utilities) for a two bedroom unit.

Notification of Housing

If the BHA determines that you are eligible, your name will be put on a waiting list. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the BHA will contact you. Please keep your contact information up-to-date as the BHA will terminate your application if we are unable to contact you. If it is determined that you are ineligible, the BHA must say why and, if you wish, you can request an informal hearing.


If you are offered a unit and accept it, you will have to sign a lease with the BHA. You will also need to pay a $150 security deposit to secure the unit. The BHA will review your lease in detail with you at the time of execution. This will give you a better understanding of your responsibilities as a tenant and the BHA’s responsibilities as a landlord.

A copy of the lease can be viewed here.

Rent Determination

Your rent, referred to as the Total Tenant Payment (TTP), would be based on your family’s anticipated gross annual income less deductions, if any. HUD regulations allow the BHA to exclude from annual income the following allowances: $480 for each dependent; $400 for any elderly family, or a person with a disability and some medical deductions for families headed by an elderly person or a person with disabilities. Based on your application, the BHA will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older.

The formula used in determining the TTP is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:

(1) 30 percent of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly Adjusted Income is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations);
(2) 10 percent of monthly income;
(3) welfare rent, if applicable; or
(4) a $50 minimum rent

How to Report Changes and Online Re-certification Forms

Click here to access all available online forms for Public Housing Program.

To report any changes, increase or decrease, you must complete an interim change form that is available online by clicking here.

For your convenience, your case manager is available to assist you with completing your interim change declaration over the phone.  Click here for the BHA staff directory.

You may also obtain and complete the interim change form at the entrance of the BHA main office.  Changes to income and/or family composition must be reported in writing within fourteen calendar days of the occurrence.  If you experience a loss of income or begin working, an interim change form must be completed within fourteen calendar days from the hire date.

If you need to complete and submit your annual renewal/re-certification forms electronically, you may access the form by clicking here.  Once completed, you may save the document to your computer, tablet, or smartphone and then email the document to your case manager.  Click here for the BHA staff email directory.  If you are completing the form using your smartphone, it is recommended that you use the Adobe Fill and Sign app available for free from the Google Play Store and/or Apple App Store.

How to Apply

Applications for Public Housing can be submitted online at any time by clicking here.

Applicants are placed on the waitlist once the online application is completed. When an applicant nears the top of the waitlist, an update letter will be mailed along with required paperwork (part 2 of the application) to be completed. Applicants must submit the required paperwork & documentation as requested in that update letter. If an applicant fails to turn in the required documentation by the date specified, the application will be terminated without further notice.

Applicants can check the status of their application through the waitlist check portal. Please note: BHA is not able to recover your account information, applicants should use the website to recover their account information.

Please do not submit unsolicited application paperwork. Once requested, all required documentation can be emailed to  If you are not able to send the form or the required documentation via email please call the office at 812-339-3491 at Extension 133 for instructions of other acceptable methods of delivery. Applicants are placed on a wait list according to the size of the unit for which they qualify (RAD only), any local preferences for which they may qualify and the date and time of their application.

Maintaining Your Status on the Waiting List

When your name comes to the top of the waiting list, or if we are updating our files, you will be notified by mail, email or phone. If you do not respond to our notifications, or your letter is returned undeliverable, your name will be removed from the waiting list. If at any time your household circumstances change (e.g., address, income, family size, contact number, etc.), you must notify the Housing Authority in writing to maintain your waiting list status. A digital application update form can be found on our website here: All changes must be in writing or via email ( No changes will be taken over the phone. Please include your name, telephone number, email address, and correspondence address on any correspondence.


Accommodations for assisting applicants with the online application will be made on Thursday and Friday afternoons in the BHA Community Building computer lab (1002 North Summit Street, Bloomington, IN 47404) from 1:00pm to 4:00pm where a BHA staff person will be available to assist with applying online.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Written requests for persons with disabilities or persons needing assistance must be put in writing to the BHA Main Office or RAD II Development management agent.


Fraud Notice

Applicants are committing fraud if they provide information and/or sign a form knowing that they provided false or misleading information. The information provided on housing assistance application and forms will be checked.

The BHA intake officer takes and processes all new applications for both housing programs. The BHA is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act. Reasonable accommodations and equal access, including but not limited to, limited English proficiency, access to alternative communications such as sign-language interpretation and assistance with filling out application paperwork, will be provided upon request. Please contact the Intake Officer at 812-339-3491 Ext. 133 for more information. Once an application is submitted, applicants are placed on a wait list according to the date and time of their application, the size of the unit for which they qualify (RAD/Public Housing only) and any local preferences for which they may qualify. The wait list for one bedroom units in conventional public housing is up to one year. The wait list for two, three, four and five bedroom units is approximately six months. The wait list for applicants with current Section 8 applications is six months to one year, or longer. There are six local preferences for which applicants can qualify. Local preferences are ONLY valid for the head of the household or the co-head of household. Dependents cannot qualify as a family for a local preference.

Resident Hub

Have an upcoming inspection? Need assistance with preparing for that inspection? Below are some tools to help get your unit ready! If you need assistance, contact the Administrative Director, Leon Gordon, at (812) 339-3491 ext. 115 for more information!

Housekeeping Policy

Inspection Prep Task List

Example Inspection Prep Calendar

Inspection Prep Calendar (Fillable)

How Often Should you Clean List

Weekly Cleaning Schedule

Green Cleaning Recipes

Click here for information on the Step Up Program.

Emergency Response

The Bloomington Housing Authority’s goal is to provide local residents with vital information for disaster preparedness. Being prepared can reduce fear, anxiety, and physical and material losses that accompany disasters. Residents should be ready to evacuate their homes and take refuge in public shelters and know how to care for their basic medical needs. We strongly encourage our residents to be informed, make a plan, and prepare a disaster kit before a disaster strikes in Monroe County.


Applicants can check their status on the Public Housing waitlist at any time by clicking here.



Sample Floor Plan: View Sample Floor Plan

Location: Bloomington’s Westside, near Summit & Monroe St.

Number of Units: 196 energy efficient units

Year Built: 1965 with some newly renovated units completed in 2009 to present day

Property Manager Contact Info:

  • Janice Price 812.339.3491 Ext. 112
  • Jamison Saltsman 812.339.3491 Ext. 118
  • Fax: 812.339.7177
  • Work Orders: 812.339.3491 Ext. 121
  • Emergency/After Hours: 812.339.3492
  • Emergency Gas Line: 812.272.5511

Amenities: Some of the wonderful things Crestmont has to offer:

  • Accessible by public transportation
  • Nearby Ferguson Crestmont Boys and Girls Club
  • Active Resident Council
  • Access to computer lab with free Wifi
  • Hoosier Hills Foodbank pantry weekly
  • Playground
  • Adult high school equivalency education onsite
  • Little Free Library
  • Close proximity to Head Start Program
  • Located within walking distance of Crestmont Park with basketball court and 18-hole Frisbee golf


Public Housing

How long can I stay in public housing?

In general, you may stay in public housing as long as you comply with the lease.

If, at reexamination your family’s income is sufficient to obtain housing on the private market, the BHA may determine whether your family should stay in public housing. You will not be required to move unless there is affordable housing available for you on the private market.

How do I request repairs?

You may request a work order at any time by calling 339-3491 Ex. 121.

What is an emergency work order?

Examples of emergency work orders are: Broken pipes, refrigerator not working, furnace not working in the winter, or any health or safety situations.

When will my repairs be done?

Emergency work orders will be completed within 24 hours; Regular work orders will be completed in the order that they were received.

Will I be charged for repairs?

Tenant will only be charged if damages are due to resident neglect or abuse.

What do I do about my trash?

BHA provides dumpsters close to all housing units at no additional charge. However, any garbage or debris found in your yard or on your porch / patio must be removed by the tenant, or the BHA will remove the items and the tenant will be charged a fee. See Maintenance Policy under forms for more information.

Can I open my windows or doors?

Yes, but certain rules apply. If the furnace or air conditioner is on all windows and doors must be closed.

Can I have a pet?

See the Pet Policy. For additional questions, contact the Public Housing Property Manager at 339-3791 ext. 112.

Do I pay utilities if I live in one of the BHA properties?

Most utilities are included in the rent paid if you reside in one of the BHA properties. You will be required to pay a small monthly fee if you have a washer and dryer, deep freeze, or dishwasher, or use air conditioning in the summer.

What is a reasonable accommodation?

A change in a landlord’s rules, policies, practices, or services that is needed to afford a person with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy an apartment. If you need a reasonable accommodation please contact your Property Manager.

Can I have a garden?

See the Yard Policy. For additional questions, contact the Public Housing Property Manager at 339-3791 ext. 112.11

Can I add someone to my lease?

Yes. You must complete an addition to lease form as well as a change form. You may obtain copies at the Housing Authority or contact your Property Manager. If the person you are adding to your lease is over 18, you must make an appointment. You will need to provide copies of the person’s social security card and birth certificate. Once the appropriate forms are received, the housing authority will conduct criminal background check and landlord screenings. As a reminder it is a violation of your lease to allow someone who is not on your lease to live with you.

May I have visitors?

Yes. You may have visitors as long as those visitors do not stay more than 14 days. You may get permission from the property manager to extend that time, put only under special circumstances. Your lease has further information regarding this issue. If you need further information about visitors please contact the Property Manager.

Why am I being charged for cleaning my yard?

To maintain the complex in a decent and enjoyable environment the grounds are picked up on a daily basis. If you have violated the yard policy and unapproved items are in your yard /porch you will be accessed a fee for the clean-up of those items. It is necessary to charge residents who violate this policy in order to maintain our complex in an enjoyable environment.

What if I cannot pay my rent?

Rent payments are due by the 5th of every month. If you are not able to pay your rent you may contact community agencies that may be able to assist you. However, if your rent is not kept current, the Housing Authority is required to collect your rent and if it is not paid an eviction may be filed. If you have questions about your rent payments please contact your Property Manager.

Reporting Fraud

Anyone wanting to file a complaint or report fraud of the Public Housing program should fill out this form and return to the BHA.